This year there were 109 shoeboxes collected! We wanted to say a huge “THANK YOU!” for your generous support of this amazing ministry.
Once again both SS Disciple Ship and Praise Island Sunday schools will be collecting shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. Help us make a difference in the life of a child somewhere in the world.
We will be collecting shoeboxes November 14th and 21st. We will not be wrapping the shoeboxes at church so we ask that you bring the box wrapped or decorated. We would like to again suggest using a plastic shoebox tote with a lid in place of a cardboard box. The plastic containers are very useful to the families that receive the gift boxes. A simple way to decorate the plastic container is to line the inside with Christmas paper.
Samaritan’s Purse rules for putting together a shoebox:
- New items only
- No liquids of any kind. This includes hand sanitizer, liquid soap, shampoo, perfume, etc.
- No toy weapons or figures with weapons
- Please refrain from sending Halloween or Santa related items. Many cultures look at these items as being offensive.
- The lid of the shoebox must be able to be removed or lifted up for inspection.
- No chocolate
Some suggestions for making a shoebox:
- Small plush toys or dolls
- Toy cars/Trucks/Trains
- Jump Ropes
- Etch A Sketch
- School Supplies (notebooks, pencils, crayons, pencil sharpener, paper, markers, colored pencils, pens; etc.)
- Clothing (shirts, socks, underwear, shorts, hats, etc.)
- Bar soap (in a plastic bag)
- Washcloths and Towels
- Hairbrush/Comb/Hair accessories
- Flashlights with extra batteries
- Hard Candy and Lollipops (please double bag all candy)
- Books/Magazines/Coloring Books/Sticker Books
Please choose to buy for a girl or boy and an age range. The age ranges are 2-4; 5-9; 10-14. Please put a note indicating; boy/girl and age range. We will be marking the top of the box with a special label provided by Samaritan’s Purse indicating whether it is for a boy or girl and the age range. This is a great service project for the whole family, so please involve your child in the selection, purchase, and packing of the items for the box. Thanks so much! See Jill or Tammy with questions.